Leftover Easter meal? Be careful because some foods can become toxic

We have just risen from the Lucullian banquets prepared to celebrate the Easter feasts. Every mother and grandmother intends to pack up all the leftovers for reuse in the coming days. But be careful because with certain foods you even risk poisoning. Let’s see how to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Now, the anti-waste practice is widespread not only in families, but also in restaurants that pack all the leftovers with their doggy bag that they can comfortably carry home. Many foods can be kept for a few days, but the practice must be absolutely controlled.

Leftovers from lunch (web source)

It is not so uncommon to be a victim of food poisoning due to an error in food storage. A US estimate found that about one in six Americans ends up in the hospital after eating poorly preserved food.

After eating, it is best to immediately store any leftovers in the refrigerator

But not all foods are equally dangerous when stored in the refrigerator after first consumption. The risk increases if you leave food at room temperature for prolonged periods of time and if, on a sight and smell test, mold or acid odors are evident.

It is not a good idea, for example, to save for the following meals seafood, which after a short time changes in consistency and smell. If after a few hours it is noticed that they have acquired a rubbery consistency and are definitely unappetizing, it is better to avoid eating them.

There is also spinach which, despite their beneficial characteristics for our body, should never be reheated a second time. The motivation lies in the high concentration of nitrates in this vegetable who over time can even become toxic.

Propose again chicken the day after cooking is quite a high risk. Particular attention should be paid to how to heat it. The temperature must also reach a minimum of 80° inside to eliminate the risk of bacterial contamination.

Beware of food poisoning (web source) 16.04.2022 direttanews.it
Beware of food poisoning (web source)

The pizza, on the table no more than two hours

Who, after a dinner with friends during which they ordered more pizza weren’t you tempted to eat it the next day? In itself it would be nothing serious, but very often it is the mode of preservation that makes this food dangerous for our health. Indeed, if left out of the refrigerator for more than two hours, the slices can become an excellent substrate for the proliferation of pathogens.

The only solution is to immediately put the leftover pizza on the shelves of the refrigerator so that it can also be eaten within three or four days.

So be careful how food is handled after such hearty lunches and dinners. The holidays could end with a bad surprise!

Add Comment